Friday 1 September 2017

Art Therapy... Sort Of

While I haven't made any tack in a long time, this month I have been easing myself back into art in general. Perhaps it isn't the healthiest coping method (cleaning up the house to get it ready to sell would be better...), but it's helping me take my mind off things.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm quite poor at drawing, and I really don't need the stress of trying to improve right now. I need a way to relax. So, I've started collecting free-to-use line drawings from the internet and colouring them.

My first piece is based off of lines by VendettaImaging on dA.

I recommend checking out the full size image!
I decided to create a loose interpretation of EEC Unsung Hero (a Breyer Keltec Salinero), and then gifted the design to my one friend who is into the Horse Art RPG scene. Hopefully she enjoys her new virtual pony!

I'm not going to lie though, this dude was a lot of work! First of all, the original drawing was at a much smaller resolution than I was wanting to work with, so I had to enlarge it quite a bit - which of course involved carefully redrawing all the lines to clean them up x_X After that, work went slowly and smoothly, carefully building up the base colour variations and adding layer after layer of details on top.

For the most part, I'm satisfied with this piece.  It served it's purpose of giving me something to do to relax. But (and there's always a but!) I wanted to give myself a bit more of a challenge.

So, up next is this heartthrob, created from lines by Hardandhind on dA.

Please check out the full size image, I have a lot of detail!
This boy took several days, but I think he turned out really great! His start was much of the same - enlarging the original drawing, redrawing new crisp lines, and then meticulously refining everything to look smooth and intentional. Everything after that was a LOT of work! From the roaning at the edges of his white markings, to the individually painted hairs of his mane and tail, I allowed myself to get lost in the process.

...Now that I think about it, this sort of thing would be good for creating mock-ups of how I would like my 2 resins to be painted. Although, that might be putting the cart before the horse, as I don't even know of any artists who are actually accepting commission pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment