Saturday 21 November 2015

The Real Horses In My Life

I realize I have very few posts about models currently, but I can't ignore the influence real horses have had on me. As a child, I was lucky enough to take riding lessons for a total of 7 years at the same beautiful barn. It was an incredible facility with both indoor and outdoor arenas, but still maintained a "homey" feel. I don't have any surviving pictures of these years, but all of the horses and ponies I knew there are fondly remembered.

Now, my horsey life involves trips to my best friend's farm, where she breeds registered Paints with her mother. While their barn isn't as crisp and fancy as the stables I spent so many evenings at, the farm is well-kept and all the horses have wonderful manners. I savour any time spent here, and I never shy away at a chance to help out. Besides, what horse crazy would turn down the opportunity to muck stalls in near -40C weather? (Which, weirdly enough, is apparently -40F)

This time I only have 4 pictures, but I promise come Christmas I will deliver many more photos of these sweethearts!

Commanche, I believe his registered name is "My Buddy Valentine"
This sweet gelding is my best friend's usual mount, and they have been together since he was a wee colt! He was born on Valentine's Day, and actually has a patch of lighter hair on his shoulder that is shaped like a heart. It is the cutest coincidence ever. While Commanche is technically a registered Paint, he has no white markings other than a star. At risk of irritating horse breed purists out there, I will admit that I often refer to him as a quarter horse, just to make conversations flow more smoothly when describing him. Commanche also has a very playful and gentle disposition, and has both quietly allowed toddlers to ride on his back as well as competing and cleaning up in several Hunter/Jumper shows.

Lily receiving a hug

Lily is an OTTB that my best friend purchased a couple of years back, and I wish I could have detailed her leaps and bounds of improvements as they happened! When my best friend first bought her, this mare was a crazy fireball, one you could not trust to be in a stall with. Now, while still filled with vigor, she has learned that cuddles are awesome. She also performs tricks and adores attention.

Apollo, registered as "Shake Rattle N Rollz" (I'm pretty sure)

This is Apollo, a gorgeous dun Foundation Quarter Horse stallion. While he is still very green to ride, this stud muffin has impeccable ground manners, and adores a good snuggle. He is stupidly good looking, and is best friends with Lily. Even though my best friend's mother has attempted to breed them for a good TBxQH, Lily was just not interested. They are simply happy to be turned out together to graze.

Lacey, "My Lois Legacy" (This one I'm sure of!)
An ex-halter horse, this senior mare is incredibly flashy! Several years ago she was obtained from an owner who could not properly care for her. A little grumpy at first, Lacey has opened up in the last year and has proven to be just as sweet and quirky as the rest of the crew. She is a wonderful trail horse, and will happily have her work rewarded with her favourite treat - some banana!

There are a couple more horses that need to be introduced but that will have to be saved for another day. If any of you are interested in tales of these guys, I will happily deliver. As with any animal, they all have their individual personalities, and often get up to some amusing hijinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment