Thursday 25 February 2016

It's Barn Time!

I too have been bitten by the barn bug, and have an embarrassingly large collection of Breyer barns stashed away in my mother's attic. I have dreams of eventually being wealthy enough to live in a house where I can set up a large farm diorama, with several barns and paddocks for prime photography realism. However, I really don't see this happening. So, I think I am going to pick my favourite barns to keep, while customizing the others and selling them (perhaps at Breyerfest 2017).

I plan on customizing the keepers, too - while "OF" Breyer barns have a distinct charm to them, there is just something about a carefully stained, painted and decorated scale barn that sets my heart aflutter. I don't have any pictures of my first project, as I have not made much headway, but I am slowly making progress on my weekends spent at home. My "victim" is a single stall barn with a sliding door by either Maxim Stables or Groton. The quality is very much on par with the Breyer barns, and it takes up less space than a barn with multiple stalls. Plus, what is not to love about a barn with both sliding doors and barred (as opposed to fully open) windows?

The only work I have been able to accomplish is a lot of sanding and oiling of the internal support structures and crossbeams. I am going to leave these the natural wood colour. I have also done some sanding and painting to the internal walls, making them a smooth white, but leaving the bottom panels bare. The plan? Padded walls. A bit ambitious perhaps, but I imagine this little stable being used as an isolated stall for medical reasons, or perhaps an additional foaling stable. Either way, comfort is paramount, meaning I need to get myself some blue yoga mat scraps from a local fabric store, as well as some black craft foam for the floor matting. If I feel really motivated I might even add a floor drain.

So, there is a lot of work to still be done for the interior, and I am still waffling over the outside. And let's not even start discussing the details and decorations, like stall toys and feed/water/hay setups.

But, I'm doing something other than staring at MH$P or watching video game related youtube videos. This is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment